Sacraments - Confirmation - Sponsors
Sponsors stand as representative of the Catholic community and act as a special witness to the child of what it means to be a good Catholic.
Catholic Church Requirements
To be a sponsor, a person must be:
- A baptized Catholic who has received the sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion and is practicing the Catholic faith.
- Mature enough to undertake the responsibility.
- A member of the Catholic Church canonically free to carry out this responsibility. If a person is married, the marriage must have been a Catholic marriage, not just a civil marriage. Catholics currently living in a marriage not considered valid by the Catholic Church or cohabitating are excluded from being a sponsor.
- Someone other than the father or mother, spouse or fiancÚ of the one who is to be baptized.
- Registered Parishioners of St. Mary Magdalen who wish to be a Sponsor s in our parish or another Catholic Church must meet Catholic Church requirements and complete a Sponsor Commitment Pledge
- Catholic who wish to be Sponsors at St. Mary Magdalen but who live outside of parish must complete a Sponsor Commitment Pledge and have the pledge signed by the priest of the parish that they are currently attending.