Sacrament of Baptism
“ Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of time. Amén.”
Baptisms for Children Under 7 Years of Age
(Older children should enroll in religious education)
- Complete the Baptismal Questionnaire.
- Certificate of participation in the pre-baptismal course for parents and godparents online on www.catechismclass.com
- A fixed rate of USD $ 100 must be paid to reserve the date of the Baptism.
- Have received the 3 sacraments: Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation.
- Letter from the parish to which they belong certifying that the person qualifies to act as Godparent.
- If they are married, the marriage must be a Catholic marriage.
- Baptisms are communal and are celebrated on Sundays at 1:00 pm, immediately after Mass.
- IMPORTANT: The date of the Baptism will only be confirmed once all the documents specified above are obtained at least one month before the ceremony.
- For more information please call the office of Religious Education at 305-931-0600 ext. 7
Requirements for Godparents:
Being elected as a godparent is a special honor. You, have been entrusted with the responsibility of participating in the Christian life and education of this child.
This privilege offers them the opportunity to develop a mutually enriching spiritual relationship that will endure throughout this life and beyond.
It is a very old custom of the Church that a Godparent is present at the celebration of the sacrament of baptism. The functions of the Godparent are: Together with the celebrant who baptizes, represent the Church in the reception of the person in the communion of the Church, and help the person in Christian initiation.
Note: Non-Catholic Christians can serve as witnesses but not Godparents.
“Holy Baptism is the basis of the entire Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door that gives access to the other sacraments. Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as children of
God; We become members of Christ, we join the Church and we participate in its mission: "sacraments is the Sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.”
Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213